BullyWiiHacks
Welcome dear guest! Very Happy

To start posting and being part of the community, you simply need to register an account or log into an existing one.

Be sure to check out disposable e-mail services, in case you prefer using one for this site instead of your legit address: http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/

If you do not wish to register at all, that's fine but there will be more advertisements. :/

You can see and download all content provided for regular members even without an account!

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated though, give it a shot and register today! thumbsup
BullyWiiHacks

Gaming, Modding & Programming

Important reminders:

- Click *HERE* for advanced forum search or check out the text field below on the front page for Google before posting
- NO support via private message (use the forum)
- Write meaningful topic titles
Site Translation
Latest topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Country Statistics
Free counters!
LaTeX Generator

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SnB@BWH

Admin & Writer
I'm trying to learn a bit of German and I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between these four words. They all mean "the", but I don't know when to use the proper one. I know that in German you have genders like masculine, feminine and neuter (neutral?).

Der = Masculine
Die = Feminine
Das = Neuter
But what is Den?

I'd like to have a thorough explanation on when to properly use each word. Thanks! Smile

Also, instead of making a separate topic, I'd like to also know when to use Ein, Eine and Einen. Again, thanks!

Become my referrer on site above and earn me at least 5,000 satoshis, and I will give you codes for any game you choose. They pay me commission on what you earn. In other words: what you make yourself, you keep, and the site gives me 50% of what you have earned. PM me your Bitcoin address, so I can keep track of what you have earned for me. Once you reach 5,000 satoshis, I will PM you to let you know. Smile

Bully@WiiPlaza

Alright. Smile

The 3 definite articles are der, die and das. They are used for masculine, feminine singular nouns. However, only when they are in nominative.

There are four cases a noun can be in that solely depend on the way it is used in the sentence.

Nominative: Who? (active)
Genitive: Possessive
Dative: Whom?
Accusative: Who? (passive)

All cases exist for singular and plural nouns.

Den is the accusative form of the masculine definite article.

Ein is the indefinite article for singular neuter nouns, the same for Eine but for feminine. Einen is the accusative for singular masculine nouns.

Examples:

The man goes home. // Der Mann geht nach Hause.
We use der because "Mann" is a masculine noun and stands in nominative. Who actively does something? The man.

The woman is in the kitchen. // Die Frau ist in der Küche.
We use die because "Frau" is a feminine noun.

The poem is nice. // Das Gedicht ist schön.
We use das because "Gedicht" is a neuter noun.

I don't like this guy. // Den Typen mag ich nicht.
Since the person "ich" is in nominative, "Typen" can't be in nominative. We ask "whom don't we like?" The guy. So we've got an accusative noun and use den.

I would like to have another house. // Ich hätte gerne ein anderes Haus.
"Haus" is accusative, neuter and indefinite so we use ein.

...and so on...

Check out the table(s) on wikipedia about the definite and indefinite articles:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artikel_(Wortart)#Formen_der_deutschen_Artikel

Last edited by Bully@WiiPlaza on 4/30/2015, 8:12 am; edited 3 times in total

TheDetonator

Trusted Member
Trusted Member
I'm in german 2 right now cause i have to take 2 years of a language. I'm dropping that class next year. Currently we're learning about how to ask for items in dativ form and whatnot. We saw a video today and they were showing the school lunches in germany, that shit looks 1000x better then what they feed us here.

Bully@WiiPlaza

TheDetonator wrote:We saw a video today and they were showing the school lunches in germany, that shit looks 1000x better then what they feed us here.
Lmao, that might be true because our food is alright while it sucks in other countries like England! My sister has been to the US and she said the food wasn't good, lol. Neutral

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum